*From:* The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] *On Behalf Of *Paul Raulerson
*Sent:* Wednesday, January 24, 2007 9:59 AM
*To:* IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
*Subject:* Re: Question on LINUX

There are no costs that *have* to be incurred. However, all the zLinux companies will try their best to get you to buy their Patch/Fix support. For SuSE that has been less than $5K/year, but I understand the price has not 'gone up' a bit. Don't have the details at this time, but I expect they will make something fairly reasonable available.

Once you have a copy up and running it is pretty rare to need to change it, especially in a production environment. And the system is solid as a rock, especially under z/VM. One note - don't expect good support on zLinux from anyone- including IBM. All of the support people are basically Intel people, and don't have much of a clue of the difference between DASD and a harddisk - and no idea about how things like FICON work. SuSE has some really good people in place who can help out, but getting to them can be a "challenge."

On the flip side - it is cheap and works really well.

-Paul

--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2007 - Green Bay, WI - May 18-22, 2007