On 1/24/07, Edward M. Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

      The question I have been asked "is Linux for z/VM truly free?".  Or
are there costs that HAVE to be incurred?

And you need sufficient resources on your z/VM system to run Linux.
Most obvious is disk space, but also processor, main storage,  paging
capacity, etc.

Adding one or more Linux servers does change the workload for a lot of
people. It would be very wise to use your performance monitor to
ensure it does not impact your existing work. Having your z/VM abend
with a PGT004 is often enough to put your project to a halt (almost as
good as having Linux overwrite an MVS pack).

And you need your performance monitor to understand whether your Linux
workload gets what it needs. We have seen too many Proof of Concept
projects fail because people found Linux did not perform as hoped and
they had not tools nor someone to help them to make it perform.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software, Inc