If you want a fairly nice, easy to use DESKTOP Linux for Intel, I'd
suggest Ubuntu. It is super easy to install and comes with most of the
stuff you'd want on a DESKTOP. http://www.ubuntu.com . What I really
liked was the fact that it is a LiveCD, which means I can boot from the
CD without comitting to installing it on a hard drive. If I decide that
I like it (which I did), there is an INSTALL icon on the desktop. Click
it, answer a few question and go for it. Very easy. There is not a zArch
version of Ubuntu.

If you want a SERVER Linux, then I'd choose either Redhat Fedora or
OpenSUSE.

http://fedora.redhat.com

http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

Note that Fedora and/or OpenSUSE can be used as a desktop as well. I use
SUSE Linux (10.1 - the last "desktop" SUSE which is not "Enterprise") on
my Athlon64 and IBM Thinkpad. One really, really nice thing is that it
responds to a "tap" on the "power" button by performing a "shutdown -h
now". Why is this nice? Because I've had my KVM switch "mess up" on me
before and leave me without a keyboard. In the past, I had to either
power cycle the machine or use the "interrupt" (NMI) button on my
machine to "crash" Linux. I don't know if this is a part of SUSE or if
all current Intel Linux system have this nice feature.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.