Jim,

Can you clarify:
"We do have the SCIF to VM:Operator but that can be time consuming when
researching when messages are issued." for me?

When scanning the VM:Operator syslog, each message is prefixed by the time
it was issued (well... the time VM:Operator processed it, but that's
"pretty close enough"), who issued it, and the IUCVclass in which it
arrived.  If your guest is SCIFing to VM:Operator then the timestamp is
there in the syslog.  But if you are logged onto the guest server, then
due to SCIF design (unless you use SET OBSERVER ON?) VM:Operator no longer
sees the messages until you disconnect again -- and while you are
connected there are no timestamps without CP TERM TIMESTAMP ON.

I'm confused by your statement.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Stracka, James (GTI)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
02/27/2007 08:20 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
TERM TIMESTAMP ON

Since the z/Linux guests do not timestamp their VM console messages, I
am considering turning the TIMESTAMP ON.  We do have the SCIF to
VM:Operator but that can be time consuming when researching when
messages are issued.

Has anyone done this?   Other than for someone who does a LOGON to the
VM console can you see any problem with this?

Jim

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the
sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain
or redistribute it. Click here for important additional terms relating to
this e-mail.     http://www.ml.com/email_terms/

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient
is strictly prohibited.