Hmmm.  I don't know the history, but can imagine some problems.

1) VOLSER=11111 has n minidisks, defined in CP Object directory.
2) Now imagine that the disk is taken offline, perhaps for some DASD
service.
3) And the CP Object directory is updated, re-allocating those minidisks
to a new VOLSER=222222 and restored from tape.
4) Now whatever was wrong with access to VOLSER=111111 is fixed and it is
brought back online.

The VTOC on 111111 reflects the old minidisks and their locations, while
the CP Object directory reflects the valid locations.
Confusion abounds (likely because someone was not told what ensued - how
good are YOUR communications?).

My questions are, what is the problem and what are you trying to
solve/improve?
Most questions are inspired by something that happened.  What happened in
this case?

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"McKown, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
03/15/2007 09:42 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Historical curiousity question.

This is not important, but I just have to ask this. Does anybody know
why the original designers of VM did not do something for "minidisks"
akin to a OS/360 VTOC? Actually, it would be more akin to a "partition
table" on a PC disk. It just seems that it would be easier to maintain
if there was "something" on the physical disk which contained
information about the minidisks on it. Perhaps with information such as:
start cylinder, end cylinder, owning guest, read password, etc. CP owned
volumes have an "allocation map", this seems to me to be an extention of
that concept.

Just curious.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient
is strictly prohibited.