From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Les Geer (607-429-3580)
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:53 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: TCPNJE

>We have a Keepalive interval of 20 with sendgarbage true in our TCP/IP
>definitions and have let the Inactivity Time Out Parm for the TCPNJE
>link default to 100, which means there will be no inactivity time out
>from our side. These parameters work nicely when used on VM-VM links.
>
>The timing makes it appear as though the connection is being broken
>from the z/OS side some time before the Keepalive interval expires.
>When it does expire, the Garbage packet is transmitted. There is a time

>out on the garbage packet, which triggers the connection time out
>messages and action.
>
>Does this seem a plausible scenario?

I believe the garbage packet would only be set if the actual socket is
defined to use keepalive, hence why I suggested to code KEEPALIVE=YES on
the RSCS link parm.
It is possible the this is already happening, but why then is socket on
the z/OS side being broken?

Best Regards,
Les Geer
IBM z/VM and Linux Development