On Thursday, 03/15/2007 at 12:24 MST, "Schuh, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> If I set ITO to 0, the link is dropped immediately upon being started.
> If I set it to 99, I get the same 22.5 minute timeout that I got when I
> let ITO default to 100.

Sorry.  I meant ITO=100. (Never timeout.)

> The MVS folks say that their TCPNJE link between 2 MVS systems has no
> problem and that they let the ITO default of 100 stand. Aarrggghhhh! I
> may have to dig into z/OS JES documentation to determine what should be
> specified where. The MVS folks here may not be willing to share their
> JES definitions. They sometimes are very defensive.

Do they have keepalives turned on?

> From your description, it appears likely that TCPIP's Keepalive packet
> is what is discovering that the MVS side has gone away and then TCP/IP
> interrupts RSCS with the bad news.

Right.  The jury is still out on the usefulness of keepalive packets, btw.
 IP was *designed* to tolerate path failures and to automatically route
around them, not get all bent out of shape and start whining.

It comes at the price of the application not discovering this until "too
late".  That is, until the app actually tries to use the path.  "If only
the network could have been repaired right *before* I needed it!"
Personally, I'd specify KEEPALIV=NO.

Have cake.  Eat cake.  It's a choice.