Well, I know that VSE can't do PAV, but z/VM 5.2 w/ APAR VM63952 can do
it for VSE, providing that the volumes are minidisks. I just don't
think that it is going to get me much (if anything) with a single
guest.

Would VM minidisk caching help throughput in a large batch environment?
The manager is looking at the performance monitors and seeing less than
full usuage on the Shark's channels, I'm thinking we need to look closer
at the COBOL programs running there than the Shark...