On Monday, 03/19/2007 at 11:50 MST, "Schuh, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> What happened? Did you forget about a NOT operator somewhere? The link
> stays alive with KEEPALIV=NO and drops with KEEPALIV=YES. Reminds me of
> the OS2 dialog boxes. "You told me to do x. Reply YES to not do it; NO
> to go ahead and do it."

:-) So, back in the Dark Ages, we used autodial modems with *real*
inactivity timers.  If you want to keep the modem going and, hence, your
connection, you used Keepalive packets.  These days their only purpose is
to verify that the path is 'alive' and to tell your application if not.

I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is that we have keepalive packets.  The bad news is that we
have keepalive packets.  Now you see first hand why they are not generally
accepted into all TCP implementations.

It also tells me you have only a single route between your VM and MVS
system.  NG.  This is the worst environment in which to use keepalive
packets.  With two or more paths, a failed keepalive indicates a *major*
problem, not just a glitch as someone fiddles with a port definition
somewhere.