To anyone running Linux under z/VM is it normal for companies to want to
run a virus scan product when its on the mainframe? I'm more familiar
with the z/OS world and I know we don't run any on that side of the
shop. Thanks

Many do. It's a complete waste of cycles, but many sites answer with "if
it's Linux, it needs to be consistent with the Intel deployment" - even
though it's a completely different processor architecture and compiled
binaries for viruses don't work.

Pick your arguments, and this is one where you can profitably let it
pass. There are good open-source ones (such as clam-av), and just say
"yep, we've already got that covered, it's in the package *at no extra
charge*, including automatic updates".

One less thing for the objectors to wheeze about.