From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Eric Vaughan
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:55 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Encryption options for DDR

Take a look at our solution, z/Encrypt. www.zencrypt.com.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Adam Thornton
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 10:12 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

On Jun 12, 2007, at 9:58 AM, Aria Bamdad wrote:

> Has anyone developed any solutions for encrypting DDR DASD dump
> output on
> tape?
>
> I am looking into encrypting DASD dumps by DDR that will be used for
> disaster recovery.
>
> One solution would be to use VMBackup's encryption option and do a
> physical dump of a DASD but was wondering if there are other options
> that are native to CMS.

You could use ddr2cmsx, encrypt the result, and then dump that to
real tape.  With the (compact option it'll probably save you some
tape space too.  Obviously this requires restore-to-disk, decrypt,
restore-to-real-target disk, so it makes your DR process take longer
and require some temporary holding space.

I am unaware of CMS-based encryption tools, but that by no means
implies they don't exist.  Me, I'd then VMARC my CMSDDR files (to
eliminate blocksize issues and further shrink them), send 'em over to
Linux, run them through something-openssl-based, ship 'em back, and
stick them on tape, but that's a sort of icky workflow.

Adam