Well, it depends on what Linux applications you have running.

Obviously, if you have a Linux based email server running, it may not get
infected, but it becomes a "carrier" of virus infected email.  If the email is
then sent to a Windows box....who does the protection?  A central site virus
scan product?  Or one on each of the desktops?  Or both?

I say both, as you need one on Windows if the users have access to the Web.
And sometimes, the users don't allow the anti-virus package to be updated in a
timely manor.  Where as, on the server, you are in control.

However, if you are talking about having an anti-virus product on each of the
Linux images on the mainframe....
well....if you are not paying per image, the product would just sit
there...idle.

I start thinking about DB2/UDB or Oracle.  I've not seen anyone concerned about
viruses there.
But then I start thinking about Samba or NFS.  You could have a virus infected
file, or trojan there.  Perhaps files there need to be scanned.

Anyway, good topic.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 6/13/2007 8:29 AM >>>

To anyone running Linux under z/VM is it normal for companies to want to
run a virus scan product when its on the mainframe? I'm more familiar
with the z/OS world and I know we don't run any on that side of the
shop. Thanks

Many do. It's a complete waste of cycles, but many sites answer with "if
it's Linux, it needs to be consistent with the Intel deployment" - even
though it's a completely different processor architecture and compiled
binaries for viruses don't work.

Pick your arguments, and this is one where you can profitably let it
pass. There are good open-source ones (such as clam-av), and just say
"yep, we've already got that covered, it's in the package *at no extra
charge*, including automatic updates".

One less thing for the objectors to wheeze about.