If I ran any system that accepted arbitrary files from untrusted sources that
are then sent to other destinations, (ie email server) I would definately use a
virus scanner. Our email gateway has eliminated a great portion of our virus
problems by filtering all incoming email. For systems where I get known types
of files from known, trusted sources, I don't feel that much of a need to scan
all files, all the time.

/Tom Kern

--- David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To anyone running Linux under z/VM is it normal for companies to want to
> run a virus scan product when its on the mainframe? I'm more familiar
> with the z/OS world and I know we don't run any on that side of the
> shop. Thanks
>
> Many do. It's a complete waste of cycles, but many sites answer with "if
> it's Linux, it needs to be consistent with the Intel deployment" - even
> though it's a completely different processor architecture and compiled
> binaries for viruses don't work.
>
> Pick your arguments, and this is one where you can profitably let it
> pass. There are good open-source ones (such as clam-av), and just say
> "yep, we've already got that covered, it's in the package *at no extra
> charge*, including automatic updates".
>
> One less thing for the objectors to wheeze about.

FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/