On Friday, 06/22/2007 at 09:26 AST, "Dodds, Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Everything we have done so far works except the DIR command to
> get a directory listing. So I am assuming that the LISTFORMAT UNIX for
> VM FTP is possibly for that problem and maybe others. Is that because
> FileZilla only recognizes UNIX? Any insight would help thanks.

The FTP standard does not dictate the format of the output of NLST (DIR),
so clients are free to do as they wish.  Some FTP clients have the ability
to explicitly configure the type of host so that it can interpret DIR
correctly.  Some have an "auto" setting (maybe configurable, maybe not)
that uses the output of SYST to figure out how to interpret DIR.

ftp:// URLs that point to VM systems have similar problems.  FTP client
authors that don't realize (or don't care) that NLST is not, in fact, a
standard, interpret the output as UNIX.

IMO, there should be an FTP extension that provides a canonical definition
of the output of DIR.  E.g.
NAME="profile.exec.a"  SIZE=6728 ATTR="RW" TYPE=FILE TIME=<localtime>
TZ=-4

But I have other windmills to tilt at....  :-)