On Tuesday, 07/31/2007 at 07:52 EDT, Pat Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Receiving a HCPMFS057I User not authorizied.  Checked the help facility
> but no reasonable explanation found other than "not authorized The user
is
> not authorized."
>
> What could cause this error or what is it that the user does not have
> authorization?

Authorization in this context is related tot he VMCF programming model,
not directory or ESM authorization.  This means one of two things:
1. The target of your SMSG has SET SMSG ON and has not performed the VMCF
AUTHORIZE function, or
2. The target has SET SMSG IUCV and has not established an IUCV connection
to the *MSG system service.

If you tried to do a low-level VMCF SEND (diagnose 0x68) to the target
user, you would have received RC=5.   Under the covers, the SMSG command
invokes the VMCF SEND function.

All of that amounts to the target user losing or failing to establish its
communications path.  This was recently seen in DIRMAINT after the server
issued a RACF command (APAR taken).  The RAC command uses VMCF.  Because
DIRMAINT was using it for SMSG support, all of a sudden things begin
failing because a VMCF UNAUTHORIZE was issued.  (VMCF is not a sharable
facility the way IUCV is.)

I would suggest submitting a Reader's Comment Form so that the
documentation can be clarified.  If this involves a supported IBM product,
you may need to contact the Support Center.  (This just in.....
"Cyberarchaeologists last week uncovered evidence of a previously-unknown
civilization.  It appears that they were bipedal and used tools.  The
team's enthusiasm was dampened, however, when artifacts built from VMCF
were discovered in what appeared to be a garbage dump.")