On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:27:30 -0400 Michael Coffin said:
>Hi Harry,
>
>That's what I thought, and it makes sense.  I seem to recall writing
>some REXX programs a few years back using PIPE and STARMSG to handle the
>communications between virtual machines and not liking that the PIPE
>must remain active, always, or you drop the communications layer of the
>programming.  The nice thing about WAKEUP is that it stays resident as a
>nucleus extension unless/until you explicitly terminate it.

That's because WAKEUP is a hammer, so everything looks like a nail.
PIPE is a Swiss Army Knife, which isn't very useful for hitting screws
into walls, but open the screwdriver blade, and you'll be much happier.

Pipelines moves data through a process, and much cleaner implementation
of psuedo-multi-tasking process that multiple SMSG and spool files implies
than a Rexx loop.  It may take twisting your head around, but once you
get past that, it is much more natural.  Rob will hurt me, but you
can easily do a simple Rexx stage that processes the looping structure
you are use to seeing.  You just can't do

PIPE STARMSG | stem r.
do i = 1 to r.0

but something like

PIPE (end ?) STARMSG |