From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of KEETON Dave * OR SDC
Sent: August 7, 2007 13:27
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: DFSMS/VM

Hi folks,

        I'm going through the Program Directory for DFSMS/VM FL221 and
prepping the system for the installation. I've created the directory
entries as I believe they should be, but I'm a little confused by a
couple of things.

When logging in with the newly created DFSMS user, I get the following
errors:

LOGON DFSMS

HCPLNM103E DASD 019D forced R/O; R/W by MAINT, R/O by    18 users

HCPLNM102E DASD 051D forced R/O; R/W by MAINT

HCPLNM102E DASD 01A6 forced R/O; R/W by DFSMS

HCPLNM102E DASD 01A4 forced R/O; R/W by DFSMS

HCPLNM102E DASD 01A2 forced R/O; R/W by DFSMS

HCPLNM102E DASD 01B5 forced R/O; R/W by DFSMS

I don't understand why the links are being forced as read-only. In the
USER DIRECT file they are using MR in the LINK statements. The program
directory instructs you to format all the mini-disks prior to
installation, but I can't seem to get that to work either. Does it need
to be done prior to logging on as DFSMS?

Also, as part of the PLANINFO file, I'm told the following:

TARGID: VMSYS:DFSMS.CONTROL

SIZE:           300

BLKSIZE:        4K

I'm not sure what to do with this piece of info.

The VMFINS prerequisite checking indicated everything is okay, though I
don't have the ISPF component installed as near as I can tell (logging
on as DFSMS user generated an error about ISPVM; the user entry doesn't
exist).

Thank for any assistance you can provide. I'm still pretty green with
VM.

Dave Keeton

z/VM Systems Programmer &

Linux Systems Administrator

Enterprise Systems Group

Oregon State Data Center

530 Airport Road SE

Salem, OR  97301

Office: (503) 373-0832

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
review retransmission dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient or delegate is strictly prohibited.  If you received this in error
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.  The
integrity and security of this message cannot by guaranteed on the Internet.
The Sender accepts no liability for the content of this e-mail or for the
consequences of any actions taken on basis of the information provided.  The
recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses.  The sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail.  This disclaimer is the property of the TTC and
must not be altered or circumvented in any manner.