Why give your second level system A, C, D, E, or F in the first place?

Regards,
Richard Schuh

________________________________

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 5:49 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: MAINTENANCE

It's really a bad, stomach-wrenching feeling when you hit ENTER on your
second level system and realize you shut down the first level system
instead  :-(  Been There, Done That......

I do all the attaches and everything else I need to do, then issue a
PRIVCLASS command to remove all classes  except "G" on the second level
system's userid.  Then... everything is (hopefully) safe.

Jim Bohnsack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

08/22/2007 09:55 PM

Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

cc

Subject

Re: MAINTENANCE

Over the course of 30 years of VM systems programming, I and every VM
sysprog with whom I have worked, have shut down a production system
once.  There is probably a SHUTDOWN EXEC on almost every VM system in
the world.

One thing that I don't understand is why in the world, the SHUTDOWN
command is ever used in anything except CP.  If I remember correctly it
is also in RSCS and PVM and I suspect other IBM programs.  It isn't all
that difficult to shutdown a remote system with either of them.  I've
done it.

Jim

--
Jim Bohnsack