If you want to restore a 3390 image from "something"
and the something has to be portable,  use TRACKREAD and TRACKWRITE.
PIPEDDR is based on that pair of stages.  I've also rolled my own.

Take a working disk,  slurp the image with TRACKREAD,
use  'BLOCK CMS'  or some other record-to-stream encoding
and then run it through 64ENCODE.  Do the reverse when installing
but with TRACKWRITE on the end  (obviously).

Note that TRACKWRITE is "careful".  It won't step on a label
that it does not expect.   If you want to blow away the target disk,
you'll need to format it outside of TRACKWRITE.  I use CMS FORMAT.

-- R;