Having two separate stacks leads me to think you will have two different IP
addresses. I guess using DNS you can get this resolved quick enough to the
TN3270 clients. Not sure if this will work but with z/VM 5.2 you can use the
VSWITCH to support 2 OSA cards for instant failure over. z/VM 5.3 will
actually give you some load balancing. In this way you only have one TCPIP
stack and IP address and pretty fast fail over. I would think no manually
intervention at all. Alan has made a number of presentations on this
subject. Check out  High Availability and Automatic Network Failover
of the z/VM VSWITCH Presented by Tracy Adams, IBM Endicott on z/VM topics

http://www.vm.ibm.com/events/sysz0610.html

Hans

  _____