From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark Post
Sent: October 9, 2007 6:27 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: VSWITCH fail over support

>>> On Tue, Oct 9, 2007 at  2:35 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Hans Rempel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have attached a diagram to help express my network. The VSWITCH and all
> guests are on the same subnet and will stay on the same subnet. I'm hoping

> that another physical switch but unfortunately  all their ports are on a
> different subnet. I hope with the use of VLAN I can have a port program to

> the same subnet of the mainframe so that I can use two physical switches
for
> may fail over.

Hans,

I've only worked with other people who knew something about switches, but
from what I saw done, every port on every switch is configurable as to what
IP address and subnet it is in.  If there are other switches with unused
ports, they can be reworked to be what you need them to be.  If your switch
people are telling you otherwise, I would try talking to their manager.

Mark Post