On 10/12/07, Marcy Cortes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One shouldn't define a virtual machine of size 1500G when one meant to do
> 1500M!

We have been spoiled by an operating system that only uses what you
need, rather than what you give it. So the big game with Linux is to
give it just what it needs...

Normally when paging space fills, you overflow into spool space.
Because spool space is often small that does not help you a lot and
you abend shortly after that. That message is clear.

But I assume this is z/VM 5.2 and you were starting a Linux virtual
machine, right?  If so, then I would expect your system stalled
because of PGMBK fragmentation. If you still have the performance data
from that period, it would be good to look at the ESAASPC report - if
possible with 1 minute granularity.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij