We have been asked to encrypt all TN3270 traffic to our VM systems (5
LPARS + 14? guests). I am planning to use the VM SSLSERV, running on Red

Hat (RHEL 4) Linux. My management wants me to estimate the MIPS (or CPU

cycles) cost of this. Any ideas?

I can get number of users logged in via TCP/IP via NETSTAT TELNET, so a

per-user cost would be nice, or a total cost and number of logged-in
users, but I will take any estimates you have.

These are CMS users, or users dialing in to VTAM. (Existing Linux guests

are not affected by this, as they already use encrypted TELNET.)

z/VM 5.3.0 (soon) on z9 EC processors. QWS3270 Secure (although I don't

think the PC client makes any difference).