From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Kris Buelens
Sent: October 18, 2007 5:41 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: 2nd Level IPL

With secondlevel systems it is also much easier to copy things from
firstlevel to secondlevel.  For example (supposing you install CPHOST from
VM's download lib):
  CP1 LINK someone 191 1111 RR
  ATT 1111 * R/O
  ACCESS 1111 Z
And there you have (in R/O mode) all files of minidisk "someone 191" at your
fingertips.

Additionally (and not less important): you IPL a secondlevel system at your
desk, using any 3270 session that connects to the firstlevel VM system.

2007/10/18, Rob van der Heij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On 10/17/07, Austin, Alyce (CIV) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I assume I could also bring my "new" system up lst level
> rather than 2nd level since I have an additional LPAR available; or, do
> I have to bring it up 2nd level first (with the new volumes attached)
> and then bring it up lst level?

The big advantage is about isolating your test from production. Unless
you are doing very strict access lists in the LPAR profile, your 2nd
LPAR will have access to the same volumes are the primary VM system.
If you miss one of the changes in your system configuration file or
make another mistake, you may crash your primary VM system.
For most things, the class G virtual machine isolates you from the
real stuff and is a safe place to try things. And there's no risk you
pick the wrong LPAR on the HMC or so.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij