For NEEDPASS, there was some relief in 2002.  But, I still change the
1x0CMDS file.  Below the converstaion I had with Mark Ritter on the subject.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support

---------------------------------- old conversation
--------------------------------------
 Subject: Re: NEEDPASS NO
 From: "Mark Ritter - IBM DirMaint Support" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:27:35 UTC

 Hello, Kris.

 No, I don't think you've missed anything.  You are correct; there is no
 NEEDPASS= entry in the CONFIG* DATADVH file(s).  DEFAULT_USEROPTN= is
 indeed the place where this was implemented.

 Let's look at each one independently.

 LNK:  Old values=1|0, default was 1 (ENABLE);  requirement  was to change
 to the safer default of 0 (DISABLE) for both new users and existing
 users.  New values of 0|3 accomplish this.  The 1 becomes invalid,
 changes to a zero; users who need LINK ENABLE must re-issue the command
 to change this option to 3.

 LOG: Old values=0|1; default was 0 (OFF); requirement was to change to
 the safer default of 1 (ON) for both new and existing users.  New values
 of 1|2 do this.  The 0 becomes invalid, changes to 1; users who need LOG
 OFF must re-issue the command to change this option to 2.

 NPW: Old values=1|0; default was 1 (YES).  I know from experience that
 many customers have changed their 140CMDS and 150CMDS files to change
 each command from Y to N.  I chose to allow flexability here just because
 it seemed like the right thing to do.  This allows customer tailoring of
 the default for new users, without affecting existing users.  There was
 no requirement in front of me to force a change for existing users.

 RCM: Old values=0|1|2; default was 1 (ON).  There was no specific
 requirement involved here.  I chose to allow flexability here just
 because it seemed like the right thing to do.  This allows customer
 tailoring of the default for new users; without affecting existing users.
 I'm not aware of any customers changing this default.

 SMS: Old values=0|1; default was 0 (OFF).  Again, there was no specific
 requirement involved here.  I chose to allow flexability here just
 because it seemed like the right thing to do.  This allows customer
 tailoring of the default for new users; without affecting existing users.
 I'm not aware of any customers changing this default.

 Making global changes to the *DVHOPT records isn't that difficult.  The
 following commands will do it nicely:
    DIRM  DISABLE
    DIRM  BACKUP
    DIRM  CMS PIPE (END ?)