On Wednesday, 11/07/2007 at 05:02 EST, Tom Duerbusch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But that is the problem with development folks.  They sit on the same
machine,
> day after day, year after year and think all the "user add ons" is a one
time
> thing.  The user add ons seem to take more time putting on a VM system
then the
> install of VM!

Ahem. You must be talking about generic brand "development folks".  z/VM
Development does not sit on the same machine day after day, year after
year, nor do we think post-installation customization is a one-time thing.
 When we upgrade the software or the hardware, we, like many others,
inevitably forget to enable/set something.  Our primary VM system is
actually a production system since our mission is to product development,
but it runs a development version of z/VM once it has stabilized
sufficiently to do so.

And if you like, we can add artificial delays into the install process so
that it takes longer.  :-)  What you describe is a Good Thing!  You
*should* spend more time on the things that increase the value of the
system than on the system itself.  I'm not clear on why it's a bad thing
that the install process be such a small part of the migration effort.