>>> On Thu, Nov 8, 2007 at 10:26 PM, in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jim
Bohnsack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> Nevertheless, Performance Toolkit reports Dasd response
> time in the 1 ms range vs. the 30 ms. time I was used to in the spinning
> Dasd days

Oh, the DASD still spins, just a lot faster, and more of it.  The response time
improvements are largely due to huge amounts of cache at various places along
the data path.  (Going from 3,600RPM to 15,000RPM disks didn't hurt either, but
that's still mechanical movement which is glacial compared getting a cache hit.)

Mark Post