On Nov 15, 2007 10:52 AM, Kris Buelens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The silence here probably means the audience is not familiar with "COBOL
> program where the field is 9(7).9(7)".  Anyhow, I don't underdstand.

It certainly explains my lack of response ;-)   I suppose the poster
should look at the "picture" in "specs" for it, but without knowing
what that format does, I may be sending him there without a reason.

> I can say however that in your specs you have two things that are not
> required, hence pure overhead:  "PAD BLANK" is default  and when padding is
> with blanks, there is no need to code things like "/  / 105" (unless the
> data you placed previously could have placed something else in column 105 &
> 106).

I would certainly consider a topology of the pipeline that requires
less typing (and re-typing when something changes). For starters,
split the records on the | and match them against a table to arrange
justifying and/or padding. If nothing else, one could even generate
the pipeline out of such a table.

Rob