Where could I find the presentation you are talking about?

Thanks..

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David Boyes
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 9:20 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: VMRM?

> How many out there have implemented the VM Resource Manager?

Here's one.

>  Happy with
> it? Any tips or gotchas?

It works as specified, adjusting both up and down. It's just a little
limited.

IMHO, VMRM seems half-finished -- it's not z/OS WLM by any stretch, and
it's missing some pieces. The CPU goal processing works, but it's fairly
inflexible, and it's not very clear how you could dynamically adjust
target workload groups w/o a restart of VMRM (which resets the goal
targets). The I/O goal processing seems fairly ineffectual, but maybe I
just don't have the right workloads for it to be effective.

If you're going to enable VMRM, be sure to get a copy of Chris Casey's
presentation on the topic. The algorithm used to adjust priorities is
really, REALLY non-intuitive -- Chris's presentation explains it much
better than the docs do. Steve Wilkins has given it the last few times
I'm aware of an opportunity.

I think Chris may have retired recently. If so, I'm not sure who has
taken VMRM up as maintainer. It's also not really clear what role it
plays in the bigger IBM Director plan -- it has some role in that, but I
don't understand what it is.