Brian,

What Tom is talking about is SERVICE one z/VM system then clone only the parts that are needed. (I use DDR with the reorder option - simple)

example here is:

ZVTRES, ZVTSP1, ZVTPG1, ZVTS01, ZVTS02, ZVTS03 as provided at INSTALL time and Serviced when needed.

our LINUX images have ZLARES, ZLAPG1, ZLSP1 and ZLBRES, ZLBPG1, ZLBSP1 with the needed mdisks from ZVTRES, ZVTS01, ZVTS02, ZVTS03 for CP and CMS to ipl all fit on ZLARES or ZLBRES.

6 packs for test and Service and 3 packs for production.

fell free to keep in touch

Bill Munson
VM System Programmer
Office of Information Technology
State of New Jersey
(609) 984-4065

President MVMUA
http://www.marist.edu/~mvmua

Brian France wrote:
Tom,
Yes, I have forwarded Malcoms' info and links to management to look at. We are still way to new to VM to consider what I know as qualified but alas, I am the systems programmer for better or worse. SO, I must ask, are you stating below that I can share a RES vol with multiple VM LPARs? I have no idea what you mean by the CP areas being what I need multiple copies of. I have to ass/u/me you are referring to some minidisks. I currently maintain two VM systems, one on each frame. They are kept completely separate since one is prod and one is test. I learned from an IBM'er how to rename vols and change parms to have a 520res, 520spl, and 520pag along with a VM7RES, VM7SPL, and VM7PAG. I figured I'd have to create another set of these. So, if I understood you correctly, would you please point me to some RTFM material that I could peruse and hopefully put to use.

At 02:28 PM 11/21/2007, Tom Duerbusch wrote:
>From a VM dasd side....it is a trade off between having a qualified VM Systems Programmer available, vs the costs of the additional packs.

The vast majority of RES and WK1 packs are used to build and maintain VM. You only need 1 copy of that. The CP areas is the only areas that you need a copy per copy of VM running. (you might want to add a copy of MAINT's 191 to that, but it really isn't necessary).

Now, is it worth it? Not really. DASD is really cheap nowadays. But if you don't have the dasd available, then the next pack is rather expensive <G>.

However, based on what Malcolm sent about subcapacity licensing for zLinux, that looks like the way to go and it will solve your concerns about multiple VM systems.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting