From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:57 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: CRR Machine

On Tuesday, 11/27/2007 at 11:39 EST, Alan Ackerman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The question is, when are two-phase commits used? From what others
> have
told
> you, one answer
> is when you have R/W  access to two different SFS filepools.

The reference to a "protected conversation" is an APPC LU 6.2
SYNCLEVEL=SYNCPOINT conversation.  It has a two-phase commit semantic
built into it.

Within a single CMS workunit you can, for example, open an SFS file (one
file in one server, or multiple files, or multiple servers) and talk to
one or more CICS LU 6.2 transactions (for example) over the network.
When your application or one of the CICS transactions COMMITs the
workunit, all files and transactions are committed or all are backed
out.

It doesn't matter whether you're doing this explicitly or not.  The CMS
file system will try to connect to the CRR server in *anticipation* of
your opening a second file or establishing a syncpoint connection.