From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Shimon Lebowitz
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:34 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: CMS MOD to "compress" EXECs

Quoting "Wakser, David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> All:
>
>       Many years ago, I had an EXEC that would "compress" Rexx EXECs,
> making them almost impossible to read but entirely executable. Alas, I
> no longer can find that EXEC. Is there anyone willing to share such a
> thing?
>
>       Thanks, in advance.
>
> David Wakser

Hi,
During the week that this thread was posted, I was hospitalized,
and am only beginning to make a dent in the <you really don't wanna
know how many> hundreds of accumulated emails (from home only).

While I am mostly skimming and deleting, I wanted to mention
another solution I remember implementing WBW (way back when...).

I don't know if this is still the way CMS works, but at that time
an invoked REXX exec was scanned, and 'cached' in an intermediate
format which replaced every REXX keyword with a hex value, and also
apparently mapped variables somehow.

In any case, *someone* (I no longer remember the author's name,
but I think I have the material archived at work)
wrote a cms module whose source used the DMS... source to perform
just that 'pre-interpretation' of the exec, and save the results
as a CMS file, with some sort of flag at the beginning that meant
'this exec is ALREADY pre-parsed'.

There was a small CMS MOD that went with it, to tell the CMS
REXX processor to recognize that flag, and skip the pre-parse step.

This method was ***much*** more secure in terms of creating
an exec whose workings are not for the public eye, and which the
end user could not reasonably hack, modify, etc.

Does anyone else remember this mod? or miss it?

Shimon