On Thursday, 01/10/2008 at 11:36 EST, Karl Kingston
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We just installed z/VM 5.3.   We have 2 systems running.   VM1 and VM2.
>    Right now, all of our Linux guests (about 5) are on VM1.   They also
have a
> directory entry on VM2 (but password set to NOLOG).
>
> 1) What's the best way to do failover if we need to get something over?
  Right
> now, my plan is basically to log into VM2 and change the NOLOG to a
password
> and then start the guest.     Basically I want to avoid having our
Operations
> staff make mistakes and start 2 instances of the same linux guest (on 2
VM
> systems).

The "best" way is to implement a VM cluster using Cross-System Extensions
(CSE).  You will need DIRMAINT (or other cluster-enabled directory
manager) and to special bid the PVM product.

It will
- Let you share spool files among all systems in the cluster
- Only allow the Linux user to logon on VM1 or VM2, not both
- Let Certain Users logon to both systems at the same time (no shared
spool) such as TCPIP
- Perform user add / change / delete from a single system
- Allow the users to have different virtual machine configurations,
depending on which system they logon to
- Let LINUX1 on VM2 link to disks owned by LINMASTR on VM1 with link mode
protection (you can do this without CSE via XLINK)

> 2) We use FDR/ABR on our z/OS side for backing up for Disaster Recovery.
   We
> would like to keep using FDR.    Now I know I can get clean backups if
the
> systems are shut down.   Are there any gotcha's if I take a FDR full
dump
> against say 530RES or 530SPL while the system is up?  \

I strongly encourage you NOT to do that.  The warmstart area and the spool
volumes must all be consistent.  If you must use FDR, then set up a 2nd
level guest (with dedicated volumes, not mdisks) whose sole purpose is to
provide a resting place for spool files to be backed up by FDR.

SPXTAPE DUMP the first level spool to tape.  Then attach the tape to the
2nd level guest and SPXTAPE LOAD it.  Shut it down.  Back it up with FDR.
When recovering, use FDR to restore the guest volumes. IPL the guest,
SPXTAPE DUMP them and then load them on the first level system.  If
necessary, you could IPL the guest first level, as it were.  The nice
thing is that the guest doesn't have to have the same spool volume
configuration; it just needs enough space to store the spool files.

Of course, if you only use the spool for transient data and don't care if
you lose it, you can simply COLD/CLEAN start and rebuild the NSSes and
DCSSes.

Spool files that were open will not be restored, so be sure to send CLOSE
CONS commands to each guest before you dump the spool.

> 3) last of all, how often does VM get backed up when it's just used as a
Linux
> server system??

The more often it is backed up the less "delta" work you have to do to get
the system back to the "current" state.  How much pain are you willing to
endure?  Of course, it also depends on how often your VM system changes.
If you added 20 new servers this week, are you sure you want to
reallocate, reformat, and reinstall 20 images?  Or make 20 add'l clones?

You might want to consider a commercial z/VM backup/archive/restore
product.