Shimon,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Of course, after posting to the list,
much learned advice from Rick Barlow, and
beating my head against the wall for awhile, I found the right combination.

One side must be CNC and the other must be ESCON_CTC.  However, the
devices have to be right too.  The CNC device must be defined without
any extra parms, while the ESCON_CTC side must be defined as CTCA EXT.
I'll attach the exec that finally worked for anyone who finds themselves
in the same spot.  Geeee, who would guess that two tin cans and some
string could be so tough to create???

Martha

/*  Commands to define temp ctc to MARLINUX
   worked as of 1/10/08 */
address command
trace o
/*  One side must be defined as cnc and the other as escon_ctc */
'CP SET CONFIG ON'
'CP DEF CHPID 15 PCHID 167 CSS 0 TYPE CNC DEDICATED_NOT_REC ACC LP1'
'CP DEF CHPID 2B PCHID 1F5 CSS 0 TYPE ESCON_CTC ' ,
         'DEDICATED_NOT_REC ACC LP2'
'CP SLEEP 1 SEC'
'CP DEFINE CU 150 TYPE ESCON UNITADD 00 CUADD 00 CHPID 15'
'CP DEFINE CU 2B0 TYPE ESCON UNITADD 00 CUADD 00 CHPID 2B'
'CP SLEEP 1 SEC'
'CP DEF DEV 3000 UNITADD 0 CU 150 PART LP1'
'CP DEF DEV 3100 UNITADD 0 CU 2B0 CTCA EXT PART LP2'
'CP SLEEP 1 SEC'