On Friday, 01/25/2008 at 05:40 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> the switch IMLed and connectivity came back for AIX and PC servers - not
for
> the mainframe.
> first question: why doesn't VM TCPIP recover like AIX?

I don't know what "like AIX" means, so I can't answer your question.

> i have a VSWITCH set up with two controllers for failover and two OSAs
for
> physical failover.
> i see in the OPERATOR log where the VSWITCH tried to failover to the
other
> VSWITCH controller and then tried to failover to the other OSA. neither
worked
> because both OSAs lost network connectivity when the switch went down.
>
> what should be the recovery approach in this situation?

Assuming you're on z/VM 5.3, do nothing.  The VSWITCH will recover when it
is fixed.

If you actually have an OSA problem that requires the offline/online reset
dance, as soon as the OSA goes away the VSWITCH will switch to a backup.
Of course, if you keep pulling all the OSAs out from under the VSWITCH,
there's not much it can do.  When you get an OSA back online, issue a SET
VSWITCH CONNECT to re-establish the connection.  Best is to take one OSA
out, bring it back, then another out and bring it back.  Then you still
need do nothing.

When you take the chpid offline, it's like unplugging the adapter from the
machine as far as the operating system is concerned.  Does AIX actually
tolerate such a thing?

If you do find that you need to manually adjust a VSWITCH's selection of
OSA adapter for any reason, do a SET VSWITCH DISCONNECT followed by a SET
VSWITCH CONNECT RDEV xxxxx.