That is one way to do it. The way I do it is to make a copy of the VM system on alternate disks. IPL that VM as guest of the running VM (second level). Apply the maintenance to the second level VM and test it. When it is working I then shut down VM and IPL from alternate disks (first level). If problems happen you can shut VM down and IPL from the old disks.

Tobias Doerkes wrote:
hi list,

is there anybody out there using a multi-sysres-concept for activating
maintenance? we are a mvs shop. so i would like to adopt some processes f
or
maintaining vm. normally we build up a sysres in our maintenance
environment. after some testing we deploy this sysres to all
systems/sysplexes and bring it up by ipling the image. parameters, ckpt, etc
are separated from the sysres.

i would like to share my thoughts and code to perform this process automa
ted.

regards,

tobias.

--