> > > Another approach we've used in the past is a common file on each
> > > system disk that lists the purpose and change history (e.g. @WHATSON
> > > THISDISK).
> >
> > But if you format that disk, you lose @WHATWASON THISDISK as well! :-)
>
> I consider that a feature, because the contents of that file may not
> be correct when you replace the entire contents. Obviously you could
> have an automagic process that scans the disks for this file and and
> reports the disks where the file is missing (or pretty old compared to
> what's on the disk). The file could also have information about backup
> requirements so that you can validate whether your backup selection
> has not missed anything.

You are obviously talking about much-more-than-single-line file here. Sorry,
I misunderstood that in the initial post. And you did mention "change
history" there. In that case - point taken.

It depends on the relative size of your world. When other people must
> make changes to your inventory, things tend to get ugly.

The file is in a SFS directory available on every system to sysprogs only.
And it contains SYSIDs as well.

Oh, and if
> you use a file in NAMES format, you could even use VMLINK to link the
> disks. And you could include SFS directories as well.

Yes and yes, though SFS directories' names are at least a bit more
descriptive than minidisks by nature.

Ivica