Hi JR,

Yes, I have tried a native mount with DFSMSRM and got the same problem. It
gives me a RC=8(3140) which suggests a drive problem but I also get a
message saying NO SCRATCH80 - although, now I think about it, this was in
the VMTAPE console.

If I do a DRSMSRM Q LIB DEV EE6 (LIBNAM VTSTPFC2 then I get a message back
saying drive not available.

While VMTAPE may be misunderstanding the reason for the problem - it is
clear that the problem lies in DFSMSRM and not VMTAPE.

Incidentally, I can successfully query that drive from another system -
giving further credence to my idea that this is caused by this drive being
in use when RMSMASTR was initialised on the system where I am see the
problem (I think we had a problem with RACF the weekend before last where
some service machines needed to be restarted).

With best regards / mit den besten Grüßen,

Colin Allinson
Technical Manager - VM Systems Support
Operating Systems Services
Amadeus Data Processing GmbH
T: +49 (0)8122 43 4975
F: +49 (0)8122 43 3260
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.amadeus.com

"Imler, Steven J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

bcc

Subject
Re: DFSMS/RMS question

"Imler, Steven J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Please respond to : The IBM z/VM Operating System
<IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
25/02/2008 12:55

Colin,

What is the RC and REASON returned by RMS when the mount request is issued
to the "bad" drive?

I assume you've tried the mount outside of VM:Tape using the native
DFSMSRM command and that's why you are suspicious of DFSMS in this case?

JR (Steven) Imler
CA
Senior Software Engineer
Tel:  +1 703 708 3479