Metrics mean different things to different people. The same thing happens in linux, "all storage is consumed", add more, and it's consumed also. You just don't know by what, or if it matters. In both your case and the linux case, you are not looking at useful metrics. (And if it's consumed by vdisk, congratulations, your system is running optimally)

Brian France wrote:

Folks,
Back in Oct or so we installed new z9's with added storage and IFL's. BUT, since we were under the gun we chose to just get us up as were and add storage and or IFL later. So our VM system had 4g of central and 1.5 of expanded. Well, a couple of months later I went to the HMC and added 4g more to central and another 1.5 to expanded for a total of 8g central and 3g expanded. Bounced the VM lpar and it did indeed show via q stor a value of 8g and q xstore 3072m. We've had cause to bounce ALL our lpars several times since, even adding stor to z/OS. We've always say 4-5 hours after a boot of VM consumed 99% of our xstore and I could see paging to dasd as well. This was before and after the added storage. This morning we needed to IML the frame and since that was done we've NOT moved at all from central to expanded. My question is one of - was I really not getting the added storage to VM until and IML was done? IF so, then where does the info come from for the "q store and q xstore" commands?

Brian W. France
Systems Administrator (Mainframe)
Pennsylvania State University
Administrative Information Services - Infrastructure/SYSARC
Rm 25 Shields Bldg., University Park, Pa. 16802
814-863-4739
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Carl Sagan