At a time my customer had some softwares that all required a shared minidisk
with Reserve/Release (MIM, STK, ...),  these softwares required two disks
for safety; STK required 4 as we had 2 silos.  With VM's restriction that
real R/R works for a fullpack only,, it would have costed us 6 (or was it
8?) fullpacks with only a couple of cylinders used.
So, I wrote a small CP mod to remove that fullpack requirement.  A new
restriction arose: no more than 1 minidisk with R/R on a single pack,
restriction not enforced by my mod, we had to keep that in mind.
Mod still in place on our z/VM 5.2 - till end june when my customer shuts
down the last VM partition and I will be without z/VM work.  Every virtual
thing I built up since 20 years ago will stop living and be mummified on
some DDR tapes either for a while or until z/VM resurrects to support
Linux.  Happily there are some visible remains on
http://www.vm.ibm.com/download/packages/

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support