That works; however, it precludes the sharing of a disk among multiple
MVS or VSE guests running under the same CP. If only one user needs
access to the disk, then dedicate or attach are sufficient. You do need
to insure that the devices shared this way are shared in the RDEV,
either through the SYSTEM CONFIG file or via command.

Would making the devices unsupported prevent the command rejects on
reserve and release CCWs? Of course, doing that opens another can of
worms.

Regards,
Richard Schuh