Then you throw in the V suffix to utterly confuse them :-)

Regards,
Richard Schuh

________________________________

        From: The IBM z/VM Operating System
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Colin Allinson
        Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 12:24 AM
        To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
        Subject: Re: Ten Questions to ask a Prospective z/VM Systems
Programmer

        "Schuh, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        > You need to read up on MW :-) W is not a "fallback" mode, as
there is no first attempt to get it M.
        > Instead, MW says, in effect, bypass the check for simple read
or write links, only fail if the disk is
        > already linked Stable or Exclusive by a user.

        OK - I give you that. I accept that there is no first and second
attempt - but the effect is the same.

        The number of people that I have met that have no concept of the
difference between M, MR & MW is amazing.

        Colin Allinson

        Amadeus Data Processing GmbH