On Monday, 04/14/2008 at 02:11 EDT, RPN01 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We attach and detach the guest consoles all the time with no adverse
> results, as long as set run on is in effect. Actually, we log in and
> disconnect; I'm not sure how or why you would "detach" the console, as
it
> might be needed in the future....

#CP DETACH 009 (or whatever)

"All" it means is that the guest will not be able to perform linemode
(3215) I/O.  And *that* means no console log!  CMS and Linux are both
rather adamant about having a virtual console.

But that doesn't get rid of the 3270 session you log into and from where
you can press PA1 and cause a CP READ.  With a detached virtual console,
the old press-PA1-twice-to-get-a-VM-READ won't work because CP can't stack
an attn to a non-existent device!  You just keep switching from CP READ to
RUNNING to CP READ to ....