Every so often someone asks the IBMVM list how to find out if a specific
PTF has been applied to a z/VM system.  More often, I ask myself the same
question.  There are of course, arcane commands to supply this information
- those documented in the dusty leather-bound VMSES/E Introduction and
Reference manual but mostly known only to the Wizards of VMSES/E, and
their closest friends.  The rest of us mere mortals just lurch around
until we eventually stumble across the proper mystical incantation.

Over time, I've written down some of the suggestions from those generous
souls posting to this list, and even some of the things that I've stumbled
across.  Rather than just repeatedly lose the scribbled notes, I entered a
few down into a "VMSES HELPME" file that is now kept on MAINT's 191 disk
(and migrated to new releases).

The file looks like (copied/pasted from XEDIT):

 VMSES    HELPME   A1  F 80  Trunc=80 Size=17 Line=0 Col=1 Alt=0
====>
* * * Top of File * * *
Useful commands to find z/VM service/maintenance information:

SERVICE ALL STATUS

SERVICE ALL STATUS ptfnumber  (e.g. UM#####)

SERVICE ALL STATUS aparnumber (e.g. VM#####)

VMFINFO ZVM componentname (SETUP
        - place a non-blank character to: PTFs/APARs
        - press ENTER
        - displayed next (in part):
             PTF number ......         (PF1 to select from list of PTFs)
             APAR number .....         (PF1 to select from list of APARs)

        - place the cursor on the PRT or APAR line and press PF1. Woohoo!

* * * End of File * * *

It's not *too* hard for me to remember the command "HELP ME VMSES"
(doesn't that have a nice plaintive ring to it?).  I've used the same
"filename HELPME" in a few other seldom-used subject areas, where just a
quick example is needed.  It's been quite helpful, and it's easy to find
them all with "FILELIST * HELPME *".  So I wanted to "SHARE" the idea with
others on the list.

Mike (As one ages, one learns to cope in new ways) Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.