From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Romanowski, John (OFT)
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 12:40 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: How does z/VM obtain time ?

Ann,
If you don't use the z/VM IPL prompt to change it's LPAR'as TOD clock
then z/VM's LPAR gets its TOD clock set equal to the External Time
Reference (ETR) or on z10 Server Time Protocol (STP) time at
LPAR-activation time if you're using an ETR or STP, and thereafter the
LPAR's TOD drifts a bit. Unlike z/OS, z/VM doesn't include the code that
supports keeping in synch with the ETR/STP.

See Sysplex Timer and VM http://www.vm.ibm.com/faq/vmgen.html#Header_2

See http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg242070.pdf  page 83
section 4.2 VM/ESA

Long story short- if your machine's TOD clock is set ok then just let
z/VM's LPAR inherit it.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged
or otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee.
If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not
authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use
this e-mail or its attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.