You were passing the 'halt' to bootshell.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Marcy Cortes
Sent: May 14, 2008 16:09
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Linux shutdown and DoD restrictions

My memory is gone these days... But sles7 we did something like this:

   "CP SET SECUSER" linux.i "*"
   if rc > 0 then do
      say "===> Could not establish secondary console for" linux.i,
         "RC =" rc
      end
   dummy = diag("08","SEND" linux.i "halt")
   "CP SLEEP 1 SEC"
   "CP SET SECUSER" linux.i "OPERATOR"
   end

It sent the "halt" in lower case.

What I've forgotten is what halt called :)  Undoubtedly, it is here on
the
archives of this list from around 2002 or 2003.

Alternatively, is having root always logged into the console an option
(we
consider that safe since you have to login to VM first to get the
console
anyway)?

Marcy Cortes

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you
are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee,
you
must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message
or
any information herein. If you have received this message in error,
please
advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.
Thank
you for your cooperation."