On Wednesday, 05/14/2008 at 04:02 EDT, Charles LeDuff
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am wondering if there is anyone who has automated the shutdown of
linux
> instances in z/VM, that has to follow the Department of Defense (DoD)
> requirements?  The requirements, I am referring to, are the Security
> Technical Implementation Guide (STIG).
>
> The SIGNAL command would be the perfect solution, but it requires
enabling
> the CTL-ALT-DEL function under linux.  According to the STIG, the
> CTL-ATL-DEL function cannot be enable.
>
> I have tried using the CP SEND command, in a REXX EXEC, to send the
userid
> and password to linux, but z/VM changes the case of the letter from
lower to
> upper.  Another problem according to the STIG.  All passwords must be
mixed
> case.  Is there a way for z/VM to not change the case of the letter?
>
> Is there another way to automate the shutdown of the linux instances?

I'm confused.  Presumably the ban on CTL-ALT-DEL was to eliminate
anonymous reboots.  You have to login to issue shutdown -r, or physically
turn off the server.

But on System z, SIGNAL SHUTDOWN is not anonymous.  Your ESM will happily
audit anyone issuing the command.  CP SEND and SIGNAL SHUTDOWN are
equivalent in this respect: both are outside agencies acting on the
server.  I content that SIGNAL is more secure because it does not require
root (or whoever) to be logged on at the virtual console.  Further, I
think SIGNAL is more reliable because you don't have to add logic to logon
to root if it is not already logged on.

Maybe a practical demonstration to the owners of STIG would be sufficient
that you are not *ACTUALLY* enabling CAD on Linux?