Pipelines can certainly do that (as well as diag and EXECIO).  This is
very quick & dirty to get the spool file numbers of any file with
lower case in its name.
/*  R E X X  */
Address Command
'PIPE cp Q RDR * ALL',
   '| drop 1',
   '| xlate 54-71 a-z a',
   '| locate 54-71 "a"',
   '| spec w2 1',
   '| stem files.'

--
Bruce Hayden
Linux on System z Advanced Technical Support