From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alan Ackerman
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 11:04 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: HiperSockets Setup

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 17:44:05 -0500, Mike Walter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
w=
rote:

>Terry,
>
>Looking in the z/VM 530 TCP/IP Messages and Codes manual, there's no
>DTCOBE0055E message listed.  OBVIOUSLY, it must be self-documenting!
><That typed with disapproval of "self-documenting messages" dripping
fro=
>the keyboard.>  In fact there's only 1 (count 'em, ONE) numbered
OBEYFIL=
>message, and three unnumbered messages.  DTCOBE0055E must be newer than
>the -02 manual I'm looking in.
>
>Could you please copy/paste the specific message you are seeing?
>

>I am setting up HIPERSOCKETS for the first time and I am dealing with
th=
>syntax of the TCPIP PROFILE for the first time. I am using the
>HIPERSOCKETS Implementation Guide Red Book to walk through this. I made
>the changes to the PROFILE TCPIP and the SYSTEM DTCPARMS file. I am
tryi=
ng
>to do the OBEYFILE PROFILE TCPIP and I am receiving a DTCOBE005E error
>message. I assume it is some kind of syntax error in the PROFILE but I
>cannot find the description of the error message. Anyone know where I
>might find it?

Interesting little game of "telephone" here. DTCOBE005E -> DTCOBE0055E.
B=
ut I could find
neither one in LookAt.

z/VM TCP/IP has numerous undocumented messages. Every time we complain
we=
 get the same
response "which would you rather have us do, document  messages or write
=
new code".

Open an incident with IBM. And include the full message text. Maybe they
=
will get tired of
answering the same questions over and over and document the messages.

-OR-

Go read the restrictions of what can and cannot be changed with OBEYFILE
=
in TCP/IP
Planning and Customization. Some things cannot be changed, and must NOT
b=
e in the file
supplied to OBEYFILE. In particular, it cannot handle a full PROFILE
TCPI=
P.

Alan Ackerman
Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America (dot) com