We don't anymore, but we did for a very long time and it worked
beautifully.

Christine Brogan - TPF/VM Systems Support
Information Technology Services Americas
Phone:  623-505-5366, Cell: 623-512-5883, IBM tieline 273-4647
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The end of fear is where we begin - the moment we decided to let Love
in..." Goo Goo Dolls

             Mark Llewellyn
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             Sent by: The IBM          IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  VM:Backup: Twinning Tapes to Remote
                                       Tape Unit

             06/05/2008 01:12
             PM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ARK.EDU>

Greetings,

We are ramping up our Technical Recovery Plan, and intend to use channel-

extended tape units at a remote location when performing our regular full

and incremental backups.

We use CA's VM:BACKUP for file-level backups, and will be using VM:HiDRO

to capture the system image.  We're curious as to whether any other CA

customers are using the synchronous tape "twinning" feature with one loca
tape unit and one remote.  We've been cautioned by our network folks that

the response time from the remote tape unit would be quite a limiting
factor affecting the speed of a synchronous, twinned backup.

Our other option is to simply run two backup jobs, one to the local drive

and one to the remote, but that effectively doubles the hit of the backup

jobs.

Any anecdotes or insight would be most welcome!

Mark Llewellyn
VM Systems Support
Visa, Inc.